Sunday 5 December 2010

Christmas Wreath Tutorial part 2

 The second type of flowers I used on my wreath were rolled flowers which I did in two ways.  These are the  first ones with the flatter edges.

Firstly draw and cut out a spiral, you can draw a circle first if you want and then do the spiral inside but I usually just do a freehand one as I think it makes the flowers more interesting when they are all different.  Adjust the size of the spiral to the size flower you would like.
 Then use your nails to fold over the outer edge of the spiral like this...

 
It should look like this once you are done

Then start winding from the outer end, keeping it quite tight, I usually start with winding it around a thin paintbrush for the first few twists.

Then release it to the tightness that you would like it to be wound and put some glue on the circle at the bottom, I usually use Glossy Accents or a glue gun and then just hold it in place until the glue is dry.


Your flower is then finished!
These are the other variation....


So exactly the same as before cut out a spiral but then cut a wavy edge along the outer edges of the spiral.  You could of course just cut the spiral with a wavy edge to start off but that makes the base wavy too and it is then harder to stick down.

It should look like this...


 
Once that is done start winding tightly again from the outer edge.  I usually do it in a bit of a cone shape with the bottom edge being tighter.


Then once again apply glue to the bottom circle and stick down.  I usually use a pair of tweezers to grab the centre and twist it a bit once I have glued it but before it dries to tweak it to exactly how I want it.



To make the wreath I cut out a circle using a plate and a bowl from the kitchen (very technical I know) and then painted it green so that the background could show through the flowers.



 
I then chose some matching ribbon and tied some around the circle, leaving it open at the bottom where I knew I would be putting the chipboard plaque.



 
I then gathered all the elements that I wanted to use together and just laid them out on the wreath until I was happy with the positioning and then just stuck it all down using a hot glue gun.


Of course if you want to make less flowers you could always use some of the beautiful flowers that come with the Noel range like the Cranberry Rose Trim or the Antique Lace Petal which would both look gorgeous on a wreath!


I hope my tutorial was helpful and if you do make your own wreath please leave me a link as I would love to see them! :)

TFL!

7 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

You are AMAZING!!! I love the very technical bowls you used! LOL!! Sounds like something I would say!! LOL!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeee this!!! WOW WOW WOW!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Lou said...

oooh i love the spiral flowers and will be trying these out later. Great tutorial xx

LG said...

WOW! WOW! Wow! wow!

Crystal said...

Oh my goodness your wreath is TOTALLY GORGEOUS!!!!! This looks amazing and those flowers are AWESOME!! Fabulous tutorial!!!! Thanks for the well wishes hun, I am sooo happy to be feeling better and back to blogging :) Hugs!

melissa said...

wow, that is gorgeous and you can do it for any holiday!

Tracee said...

WOW that is beautiful and actually looks like something I could maybe make will show you if I manage it. T x

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

You have incredible talent!! This is gorgeous!! I just love the roses you created, the lace and all your details. Gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing how you did it too!!